01 Oct 15
Montenegrin Opposition Tells Police Chief to Quit
Opposition Democratic Front on Wednesday said police director Slavko Stojanovic should quit following his statement that opposition protests could result in attacks on police.
On the fourth day of opposition protests in Podgorica, Nebojsa Medojevic, one of the opposition leaders, on Wednesday told the director of police, Slavko Stojanovic, to quit following his statements that attacks on police at the meetings are possible.
“We stand together with our friends from the police, who do not even know why they were sent here [to the meetings,]” the Podgorica-based daily Vijesti quoted Medojevic as saying.
“Those who claimed that we are terrorists and barbarians, those who scare people that we are going to attack them [the police] need to apologize, and the police director should resign,” Medojevic said.
Opposition protest in Podgorica. | Photo: Facebook
Ahead of the opposition protests, which started on Sunday, Stojanovic said the police had the information that attacks on police officers were possible during the meetings.
“Any attack will be prevented and punished,” Stojanovic told a press conference in Podgorica on September 25.
Medojevic meanwhile has urged students to join the protests until Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic resigns.
“Get out of the cafes, shut down your computers, come and feel [real] life. A new history of Montenegro is being written these days,” Medojevic said.
“We will not leave this place until the freedom is defended. We do not fight for mandates and positions but for the future of our children,” he added.
Opposition leaders have also accused Montenegrin public broadcaster, RTCG, of ignoring the protests.
According to Vijesti, Democratic Front MP Vladislav Bojovic said it was obvious that the government was in a panic because he said it had ordered the media not to report on the opposition rallies, even in a negative context.
“RTCG is funded by citizens and they have a responsibility to report objectively,” Bojovic added.
On Sunday, the protesters set up around 400 tents in front of the parliament building, announcing that they would not leave until their demands are met.
The opposition demands new elections and accuses Montenegrin Prime Minister Djukanovic of corruption, undemocratic practices and election fraud.
The rallies are being secured by a large number of police while the government officials ignored the opposition demands so far.
Djukanovic has been in power since 1991 while the current coalition government was formed after the 2012 elections.
It comprises Djukanovic’s Democratic Party of Socialists, the Social Democratic Party, and three ethnic minority parties. The next general election is not due until spring next year.
Source: Balkan Insight (Montenegro)