Montenegro Gay Pride Rescheduled for October


News
01 Oct 14

Montenegro Gay Pride Rescheduled for October

The second Gay Pride parade in the Montenegrin capital, originally planned for late June, will be held “no later than November 1”, the organizers have said.

Dusica Tomovic
BIRN

Podgorica

The Montenegrin capital will host its second Gay Pride parade late in October, in spite of the violent attacks on activists that marred the first parade in the country last year.

Queer Montenegro, the organizer of Montenegro Pride 2014, said on Tuesday said preparations were underway to hold the march in October, but did not specify a date due to “security reasons.”

They called on all concerned citizens to join the march and to show solidarity with LGBT community, sending a message that violence, discrimination, harassment and intimidation are not acceptable.

“The clear message of this year’s Pride implies that the perpetrators of such acts must be appropriately sanctioned and that the responsible institutions need to do their job more conscientiously,” the organizers said in a statement.

Queer Montenegro said it also expects more open support from the state, through the participation of the ministers and high-ranking government officials.

Originally planned for late June, the country’s second Gay Pride was postponed following consultations with the police.

Earlier, the Ministry of Interior said the police would evaluate the logistics of securing the parade before giving it the green light.

Durnig the first Pride march last Octoober, police clashed with more than 500 protesters, mostly football hooligans, who hurled rocks and bottles to disrupt the first march by several dozen gay activists in the capital.

Gay rights remain controversial in Montenegro. In what remains a conservative and patriarchal society, surveys show about 70 per cent of Montenegrins still consider homosexuality an illness. Around 80 per cent believe gay people should keep their sexuality private.

Source: Balkan Insight (Montenegro)