Montenegro PM Cuts Short Govt’s Summer Holiday

News
05 Aug 15
Montenegro PM Cuts Short Govt’s Summer Holiday

Montenegrin Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic has shortened his government’s annual three-week summer holiday because of growing obligations to the EU and NATO accession processes.

Dusica Tomovic
BIRN
Podgorica

The Montenegrin government building.

Djukanovic has slashed the government’s traditional three-week summer vacation to two weeks, citing crucial tasks that need to be addressed, media reported on Wednesday.

“Bearing in mind the numerous activities within the process of intensified and focused dialogue to meet the expected invitation for membership of NATO, obligations in the negotiating process with the EU and the start of the implementation of major development projects, the government has decided that in August, all ministries must ensure full working continuity of work,” the government’s Bureau for Public Relations said.

The next government session is expected on August 20 while the first working day for all ministries will be August 17, media reported.

Djukanovic has already announced that he will tighten up discipline in his cabinet. Last week, media reports quoted him as saying that those who aren’t ready to work should not return to their offices after the holidays.

This was not the first time that Djukanovic has turned on employees in the public sector.

In April, Djukanovic blamed bureaucrats for slower economic growth and unfinished projects, saying he will not tolerate slack public servants.

He said that besides the impact of the European crisis and the continent-wide recession, the country’s own administration was to blame for slower growth and delays in implementing priority projects.

“It is unacceptable to tolerate irresponsibility and lack of professionalism within the public administration at either state or local level,” he said.

Source: Balkan Insight (Montenegro)