Montenegro’s bid to join NATO approved

We notice you’ve got an ad-blocker switched on. Adblocking costs websites money, and independent media such is InSerbia finance themselves through online ads. Please protect the future of the free internet by re-establishing a fair deal between web users and the content creators who you want to support and enable Ads on our website.

Thank You!

Perhaps you’d like to support the InSerbia in another way?

BRUSSELS – The permanent envoys of all 28 NATO member states have approved of Montenegro’s bid to join the alliance, a diplomatic source said Tuesday.

“The text of the request has been approved by the permanent envoys and needs to be confirmed by the ministers of foreign affairs,” the source told RIA Novosti.

NATO-member foreign ministers will convene in Brussels later on Tuesday for a two-day meeting and will decide Wednesday morning on the issue of Montenegro joining the alliance.
Montenegro may become a NATO member in a year and a half, a diplomatic source said.

“The negotiation and ratification process will take about a year and a half,” the diplomatic source told RIA Novosti.

Earlier on Tuesday, the permanent envoys of all 28 NATO member states approved of Montenegro’s bid to join the alliance, but still needs to be approved by the member states’ foreign ministers.

NATO-member foreign ministers will convene in Brussels later on Tuesday for a two-day meeting and will decide Wednesday morning on the issue of Montenegro joining the alliance.

Source: InSerbia News (Montenegro)