Rise in Cyber ​​Attacks Worries Montenegro


News
22 Dec 14

Rise in Cyber ​​Attacks Worries Montenegro

A four-year study showed a marked increase in hacker attacks in Montenegro, with internet service providers and personal accounts being most affected.

Dusica Tomovic
BIRN

Podgorica

A new analysis by the Ministry for Information Society on the scale of the cyber threat to Montenegro has shown that hacking attacks are on the rise, and that the abuse of personal accounts on social networks has become the most common problem.

The four-year review, which BIRN has obtained, said that hacker attacks on the web systems of the country’s public administration, banks and private companies were the second most commonly registered form of abuse.

Cyber fraud and phishing attacks are also a growing phenomenon, the analysis said.

“Recent examples of cyber incidents in Montenegro indicate that a large number of cases of fake websites of foreign banks exist in Montenegrin sites, and more cash transactions are going into the hands of hackers across the world,” it said.

The national body for dealing with cyber incidents in Montenegro took action in more than 30 serious hacking attacks on government bodies, banks and private companies last year.

In September, Information Society Minister Vujica Lazovic warned that cyber intrusions and attacks had dramatically increased.

“Cyber crime will become more and more creative and the threats will become more serious,” he said.

Although no cyber attacks have seriously jeopardised the country’s banking or security systems, some of the most notorious global hackers made their presence felt in Montenegro during 2014, such as the ‘MiniDuke’ group, which targets state institutions at an international level.

Source: Balkan Insight (Montenegro)